Chase Race 6: The Paperclip (Martinsville)Posted by in General
First off I want to start off by admonishing DirecTV again. They changed HOT PASS so now that we do not hear the national broadcast- but instead hear MRN. I have nothing against MRN but I don’t want to hear them when listening to Tony’s hotpass I find it more distracting to pick out Tony’s crew audio over the top of MRN. I would rather hear/see the national broadcast with Tony’s audio laid over it. Of course, I liked it best when each hotpass driver had their own announcers. I am thinking this might be the “death rattle” as my friend would put it of Hot Pass.
So now about the actual race. Tony qualified 13th. Not bad for him but definitely not stellar. He seemed to be doing alright…and the crew seemed to be doing fairly good at getting his stops done quickly. I would basically only switch over to his hotpass channel during pitstops so I could hear them talk about adjustments they were making to the car- because the MRN broadcast was just too annoying for me. Towards the beginning of the race Tony seemed to be complimenting the crew on their pit stops so I assume they were doing a good job. At one point I had wandered away from the race momentarily and came back and Tony was in 2nd. Whoo! It was not to last.
According to the team release posted on Tony’s website a late race pit stop issue that I didn’t catch and apparently neither did the national broadcast but them down a bit. And since the race was mired with last minute cautions, Tony was forced to stay out to gain track position. Unfortunately everyone behind him had fresh tires. But he “valiantly” (that was in the team release- I would love to meet the person who writes them because 9 times out of 10 they humor the heck out of me) held on for his 9th place finish. He maintains his 4th place position in the points and is now 192 points away from Jimmie Johnson. Teammate Ryan Newman also finished in the top ten and is 7th in the points.
Notes About Martinsville:
- You got to love Martinsville…the racing was pretty exciting!!!
- What the heck took so long for NASCAR to throw the caution with John Andretti sitting there sideways at the start finish line during the Green-White-Checker? They should have either thrown it a lot sooner (that is my thought) or they shouldn’t have thrown it at all. I assume that the spotters were notifiying their drivers that John was down there. Granted I wouldn’t have wanted to be him sitting down there like a duck with 30 3500lb cars careening towards me going all at…so I guess the late caution was better than no caution…but still…
- I will admit…I am getting sick of the Jimmie Johnson show. At the end- when it was clear that Tony wasn’t going to have a snowball’s chance of winning the race, I was basically cheering for “ANYONE but JOHNSON” to win. Sad but true to quote Metallica. Sad but true indeed. Not only is he winning so damn much but he is all they talk about on TV during the race. ARG. I know it can’t be the Tony show but seriously…it is getting old.
- Speaking of Jimmie Johnson, I think I need some Tums (get it- the race at Martinsville was sponsored by Tums? I should get an award for working a sponsor into my post!) when I think about Tony’s chances of winning the championship. I have been trying SO HARD to be a glass half full sort of fan…and technically, mathematically he could still win…but I admit…I am starting to think my glass is half empty. I forget what exactly my friend was telling- (she is way better at math then I am) but for second place Mark Martin to win the Chase right now he would have to win the next four races with Jimmie coming in worse that 10th or 11th?…and that is just for Mark Martin to win. Not for Tony. Urg…pass me the Tums- I need them.
- Okay so I have to say…I am fascinated by the Martinsville hotdog because I think it’s kind of gross that they have “slaw” on it. Is it like actual coleslaw? Because I HATE coleslaw!!! Bleck. And do I even want to know what makes them so red?
Next Week: Dega!!! (urg another reason to pass me the Tums).
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.