Pre-Daytona 500 Bullets (most of which are SHR related of course)Posted by in General
I have come across so much stuff that I have been wanting to share here BEFORE the 500 on Sunday that I am sitting here in my office* past quitting time to take advantage of the quiet and the fact that most of this stuff is fresh in my brain right now- but by the time I drive home it’s going to be gone:
1. So after watching the big wreck in practice at Daytona I just have one thought- THIS is why I don’t like Daytona (and Talladega). Someone zigs when they should have zagged and you have cars upside down and in the fence and crashing all over the place. I hate that it is so easy to be caught in a terrible wreck when it isn’t your fault. We saw it at the unlimited- when nearly half the field was wiped out in one wreck. I just hope that we don’t see it in the duels.
2. That said- I still think that it is completely ridiculous that replacing an engine BEFORE pole day qualifying and BEFORE duels practice and BEFORE the duels themselves means you have to start at the rear of the field. RIDICULOUS! This gives the drivers absolutely no incentive to run in the duels. Why risk your car being caught up in an accident if you go into the duels not being able to improve your starting position? NASCAR seriously needs to think about this rule- because it’s dumb. I could see this rule if the engine change came after the duels- or even after pole day…but during the first set of practices? Really? I know I kind of mentioned this in my last post but it is really stuck in my craw.
3. Tony thinks Danica should challenge Richard Petty to a race- after The King voiced his opinion that the only way Danica could win a race was if everyone else decided not to show up. Oh yeah– Tony is definitely back! This is what was missing last season.
4. Reading the above article made me want to pen this short open note to Tony Stewart: Dear Tony- We are SO glad you are back! Heart- Your fans.
5. Tony Stewart’s new crew chief is missing something…his appendix! Ouch! Chad Johnston is just as hungry for a Daytona 500 win as Tony is and is back at the track after having surgery yesterday morning- is that dedication or what? I mean that is crazy after having surgery. I hope Chad is at least TRYING to take it a little easy! But GO TONY GO!
6. I have been waiting for this video to come out for the better part of a month! You should definitely check out Part 1 of the 3 Wide Life interview with Tony Stewart filmed at his beautiful home in Indiana. It’s long but worth the watch. And bonus- you get to see Tony’s pet piglet Pork Chop towards the end. How adorable is that little piglet?! How adorable is the word piglet? I think it’s my new favorite word.
7. I am certain that I mentioned that I have mentioned the Lionel Golden Ticket promotion- where special golden tickets have been hidden randomly in 1:24 NASCAR diecasts. Well the first one has been found- by a Stewart-Haas Racing fan who found his in the Danica Patrick diecast he bought at Danica’s Merchandise Hauler in the midway at Daytona International Speedway before the Sprint Unlimited. He won a Lionel NASCAR Train set. Congratulations Chris Bonser! If you are in the market for a diecast you might want to consider getting one- there are still lots of Golden Tickets out there including the one I would LOVE- Lunch with a Stewart-Haas Racing crew member at the SHR shop! How cool would that be?! I have always wanted to visit the SHR race shop- that sounds like the perfect prize to me. For more information about the Golden Ticket promotion- check out www.lionelgoldenticket.com.
8. NASCAR 14 the game was released yesterday- just in time for the beginning of the 2014 race season! I downloaded it from Steam- and have made it as far as making my own paint scheme. I haven’t tried actually racing yet- I admit I am a little intimidated- not being a gamer of any salt. That said- be patient if you are online and someone is puttering around the track hitting the wall every two feet in a purple car- it’s probably just me.
Gratuitous Tony Stewart Picture:
* Office as in at my 8-5 M-F job…
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.