- It has been brought to my attention that NASCAR ILLUSTRATED’s PERSON OF THE YEAR will be none other than Mr. Tony Stewart. This will be the December 2008 issue. Last year’s Person of the Year was driver Jeff Burton. I can’t wait to get my hands on my issue.
- Also congratulations are in order for Dale Junior fan, Thomas Mendiburu from New Jersey, who placed the winning bid on a once-in-a-lifetime experience to ride with Dale Jr for three laps around Lowes Motorspeedway. That had to be a total kick in the pants. I would have probably screamed like a girl the whole time (of course I am a girl…and I can’t really scream any other way). Mendiburu’s bid of over $15,000 help Dale Jr and Wrangler raise $17,475, a sum donated to the Victory Junction Gang camp.
- Have you been reading the NASCAR INSIDERS? If not then you have missed some great posts such as silly season for the crews (the ultimate in should I stay or should I go), what the standings would be if there had been no chase format (tony would be 9th instead of 8th after Richmond), a crew members experience with visitors in the pits being the pits, and news on a hauler fire for the NCTS #51 team. I know I have said it before but it bears repeating. This is one of my favorite NASCAR blogs. It should be one of your favorites too.
- I really hope qualifying happens at Texas this weekend if only so I don’t have to hear about how Joey Logano really wanted to try to qualify into the field. I did hear somewhere and I don’t remember where…that Logano’s new nickname is Soggy Bread instead of Sliced Bread because he keeps getting rained out of the field. I found that amusing for a couple of minutes.
Author Archives: Amy
You all know by now that I love me an alternate paint scheme. This weekend Jamie McMurray (or who my friend and I JamieMac) will be running a little different paint scheme this coming race in Texas. His hood will feature a special “Your Name Here 400″ logo announcing to fans everywhere that they can take part in the Crown Royal Your Name Here 400 contest.
According to the press release: Before Nov. 21, fans 21 years old and over can visit www.CrownRoyal.com to enter the contest by describing an accomplishment or honorable act worthy of toasting with Crown Royal. Selected finalists will enjoy an all-expenses-paid trip in February to the Daytona 500 where they will participate in an unveiling ceremony to announce the ‘Your Name Here 400’ grand prize winner.
In addition to having their name officially incorporated into the race, the grand prize winner will serve as the Grand Marshal in Richmond – allowing them to do everything from delivering the trophy in Victory Lane to yelling the most famous words in racing, “Gentlemen, start your engines!”
It sounds like fun to me. Who wouldn’t wouldn’t want to have a race named after them? And I have always wanted to be the one who gave the command to start engines…of course I say that now. Truthfully if I ended up in that position I would probably freak out and not be able to do it- have you ever seen how many people are actually at a race?
Because I wasn’t home to get the MI-5 this week- I will post it now…
1) If you could only pick one type of apple, which would it be? Well I would go with a macbook pro probably…desktops are so last year. Yes I know Paddy meant apples as in the fruit…but frankly I am not a big apple eater. I guess Gala or Sweet Ambrosias.
2) If you could just have two kinds of greens in your garden, which ones would you grow? Iceberg lettuce and spinach.
3) What are your top three favorite root veggies and why? Sweet Potatoes- I have loved them every since I was a baby and turned orange from too much beta carotene as a kid. Beets- there is nothing like a fresh beet. Ginger- ok so technically its a spice but I like it and its a root.
4) Do you like squash? Name your four favorites, winter or summer varieties. Love squash!! Zucchini, Spaghetti, Pumpkin, Acorn…pretty much any squash
5) You are going to make a meal of grilled veggies … what five do you pick to grill tonight? Do they all HAVE to be veggies? I like grilled zucchini, eggplant, sweet potatoes, asparagus and pineapple.
I am back from my quick weekend in Vegas. I drove over 1000 miles between Friday morning and Monday afternoon. Ha!
So I had a blast watching the Atlanta race from the bar at the NASCAR CAFE. BFM tells me they do this every race day- but for $10.00 they give you a drink coupon, a raffle ticket and a wrist band with your favorite drivers number on it and then let you sit in the bar during the whole race. If your driver does certain silly things (lead three consecutive laps, gets black flagged, gets a pit road speeding penalty, causes a crash, DNFs, gets the lucky dog, etc)- you win another drink ticket. Plus during the commercials they do trivia and you win $20.00 coupons for the cafe and after the race they raffle off a table full of NASCAR goodies…diecasts, clocks, sweatshirts, etc. I was pretty good at the trivia..I knew a lot of the answers…but never got picked to answer one so I had to pay for my nachos afterall.
So Tony didn’t do so well in Atlanta…and because I was on vacay I didn’t have access to the radio communications so I have no idea what was going on with him. All I can say is that at the end of the race he obviously got the lucky dog because I got a beer on Tony! Hey it gave me something to drink while they auctioned off the goodies.
I will say that I thought that Chad Knaus was crazy to call Jimmie in for tires during that last yellow. I was amazed at how well and quickly Jimmie was able to work his way up the field to his second place finish- I believe someone used the words “freaking genius”. I loved Carl Edwards postrace interview though when he found out that Jimmie finished second. “Are you kidding me? Man why did you have to go and ruin my day!” That cracked me up. Sorry Carl.
I was also pleased to find out that Denny Hamlin was able to get the Gillette Young Guns Time Shaver of the race this week edging out Kurt Busch by just a smidgen. Way to go Denny!!
I am off for a quick weekend in Vegas. Well I don’t really know how QUICK it will be since I have to drive 500 miles to get there (and it will take me twice as long as a stock car race…and there is no one singing the national anthem for me or giving me a flyover (actually sometimes I do get a flyover-as there is an air force base on my route and at my favorite rest stop sometimes they are flying around) or cheering me on.
While I will be watching the Atlanta race- most likely at the NASCAR CAFE if I have any say, race posts will not be posted until late Monday at the earliest…possibly even sometime Tuesday depending on when I get home from my travels and how wiped out I am when I get home. I will do my best to twitter while I am gone so you can check the twitter box on the left or follow me on twitter for updates throughout the weekend.
Feel free to talk amongst yourselves in the comments. I love to come back to a bunch of blog comments– so have at it. Also, remember I am still compiling a list of ideas to post about in November- I already have a couple so keep them coming in. See ya on the flip side!
I am posting the fill-in Thursday night since I will be leaving for Vegas bright and early in the am.
1. Right now, I’m feeling a little tired.
2. Las Vegas is where I want to be.
3. How does one take such excellent pictures?
4. I am still looking for someone or something that keeps me on track.
5. Please don’t eat the daisies.
6. Seeing my nephew fills me with joy.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight (friday) I’m looking forward to arriving in Vegas, tomorrow (saturday)my plans include a rock concert and Sunday, I want to watch the Atlanta race at the NASCAR Cafe!
It looks like there is a very good possibility that the Altanta qualifying will be rained out. That makes how many qual sessions rained out this year? A lot. Its seems to be the year of the rained out qualifying. I have mixed feelings about this. It keeps Tony within the top 10 of the field because lately he has been a less than stellar qualifier. However- it also does not help me gauge the field. Who is running well- who isn’t running well. Plus it would give me something to listen to on the drive to Vegas if I can find it on my XM. (I really need to see about getting that Sirius / XM package.)
Now onto SHR. I watched Tony and Ryan on Trackside last week (or most of it anyway). It’s really got to be hard to be Scott Riggs right about now. You are driving a car hard- trying to win races for a team that you won’t be driving for next season. They want you to do your best so that their new driver won’t be a go-or-go-homer for the first 10 races. It’s really got to be a tough situation for him.
Yesterday I was a total technology disaster. I was beginning to understand what it is like to be my mother (she is the queen of tech disaster). It started sitting at work (for those who don’t know- I run a dual monitor) when my right monitor decided to go haywire. It started flickering and got all these crazy white lines all over it. I went next door and asked one of the techs to look at it and he said “What did you do?” and ended up replacing my right monitor. Then suddenly my speakers just stopped working- on the same computer. That was crazy too. They still aren’t working but I am not going to deal with that until next week. Then my cell phone decided to get all funky on me and not get a signal. That I think was just due to the walls here at work. (I am in an old military building- the walls are crazy thick concrete). When I got home I had trouble getting my internet to work…but its working now.
Last November I took part in NABLOPOMO (National Blog Posting Month). I plan to do the same thing this November. My plan is to post at least once a day every day in November including Saturdays AND Sundays AND holidays. It’s a challenge for me because sometimes I don’t feel like even looking at the computer on the weekends…but I will do it. I completed it last November and I will do it again.
Here is where I ask for your help. In the comments section please give me some ideas of things you would like me to write about. I am pretty much open to any idea- however silly you might think it is (however I prefer to steer clear from politics).
In a completely non noblopomo related thing- I have decided to try to compile a 100 things About Me for the ABOUT page since I can’t figure whatelse to put on there (if you have an idea let me know). So you might want to check that back on the About page ocassionally to see my progress.
On Friday I am leaving for another trip to Las Vegas. The BFF called me last month and invited me down- and who am I to say no? I won’t be back until late Monday and have work bright and early Tuesday- so my Atlanta post will probably be late. (Yes I will be watching Atlanta…at the NASCAR CAFE!)