1. On my laziest day I like to read or watch a race on TV!
2. Finishing a project makes me feel like I’m being productive.
3. I love little gestures and big meaning.
4. This summer I want to write a book.
5. My insatiable urge to write made me start my blog.
6. Red pants and orange shoes clash miserably.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I’m looking forward to babysitting my nephew, tomorrow my plans include lots and lots of cleaning and Sunday, I want to watch the Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600!
And My Natural Disaster MI-5:
The Santa Cruz mountains are burning – I live not far from them and the smoke yesterday was crazy thick in the morning. That is my inspiration for this weeks MI-5:
1. What is the worst natural disaster you have personally experienced?
This is easy for me to answer. That would be the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. I have lived in California all my life and you get use to earthquakes believe it or not. I will never ever forget this earthquake. I was in 10th grade and was home from school and home alone as my brother and mother went to visit my grandma and I decided to stay behind. I was sitting in the living room watching tv and the power went off a split second before the shaking started. I flew out of the chair because it was next to a picture window and I could tell this was a big one. I was trying to make it to the kitchen to get under the big table but I couldn’t make it because the shaking was too violent so I rode it out crouched in the frame of a door way. From my vantage point I could see the chandaleir in the kitchen swinging and hitting the ceiling on each end of the swing. And I could see my parents computer shaking violently from side to side and I remember thinking I should close the computer hutch so it wouldn’t fall but then I was afraid to try because I was worried the hutch would fall on me. It really freaked me out. All in all we were out of power for 27 hours and we were lucky to get it back that quickly. Our house didn’t really sustain too much damage just some new cracks in the driveway, some cracked tile/grout in the main bathroom and some broken dishes.
2. You were forced to evacuate your home. When you are finally allowed back your house sustained fire damage- but isn’t a complete loss. What one room do you hope remained untouched by the fire and why?
I am gonna say my bedroom because that is where I keep my important stuff like photos and momentos.
3. The smoke was so thick yesterday morning until the wind shifted that the sun was shrouded and actually cast an eerie orangish glow over things. Tell us about something or an experience that gave you an eerie feeling.
One day when I was walking home from junior high I had just turned onto my block but I lived at the complete other end of the block so I had a ways to go yet. I was looking at my feet when I walked and I looked up and saw a redheaded woman in a white dress (singed with dark ash like she had been in a fire) holding hands with a little girl in a similar dress and similar hair standing in the middle of the street but up the street where my house was. I stared at her because I didn’t recognize her. I looked back down at my feet and then back up to look at her again but she was gone.
4. Lots of people are discending on the small town of Corrilitas CA to offer support. The small general store has become a makeshift command center where people gather for support and information. Does your community have a place that everyone would gather at? Where would it be?
In my direct neighborhood people tend to gather at the elementry school a couple blocks away. We are fairly tight knit couple of blocks, which is one of the reasons my brother wanted to rent a house in the area.
5. I love to cook, but in my wake the kitchen looks like a tornado hit it! What is something you love to make and eat but only do it on certain occasions because preparation or clean-up is a hassle?
As I mentioned…I inherited my dad’s ability to make a huge mess no matter what I am cooking. But the mess I made making Molasses cookies was unparalleled because I ended up with molasses everywhere including in my hair and on the floor.