- Am very impressed with Southwest…yes my outgoing flight was over an hour late but they kept apologizing for it…and gave me two bags of peanuts with my half a diet coke. Everyone I spoke with was outstandingly professional and one person at the gate actually checked to make sure I wasn’t on her Phoenix flight…which I thought rocked. My other experiences flying are once with American Airlines and twice with America West Airlines (and one one of the America West flights I upgraded to firstclass). I am still most impressed with Southwest.
- Me thinks that part of my issue with flying….in addition to the heights thing and the control issue thing…is that there might even be some claustrophobia coming into play. Using the air vents help a little but I still felt like a freaking sardine squished in a can….
- You should applaud me…I even left the window shade open the whole return flight home! (I usually shut them- especially during take off).
- No one lost my luggage…and that is awesome…because once when I flew American- I went to San Jose CAL from LAX (Los Angeles) and my luggage…it flew to Portland. Nice.
- The flight attendants on both flights? They rocked.
- To the very pregnant lady on the flight to Vegas from San Jose, CA…I don’t know what the hell your problem with me was but suck it ok? That’s all I will say…
- Paying $83 dollars to get my freaking car out of long term parking? Not cool…that was nearly a whole one way ticket right there. Bastards.
- While waiting at the airport in Vegas I was watching the little private jets come zooming in. Has anyone ever ridden in one of those fancy schmancy private jets? I wonder what that is like?
So my flight to Vegas from San Jose was over an hour late…it seemed to me as I sat in the terminal in San Jose, that all Southwest flights were late…there were some people flying to Phoenix that seemed to be waiting forever.So finally I get to board my plane and I pick a nice window seat and stow my luggage in the overhead and the pilot tells us as we are about to take off that it will probably be a bit of a bumpy flight (OH GREAT- I think to myself)….but by the halfway point I have relaxed and thinking that it isn’t really that bumpy…I get my half a diet coke and baggie of peanuts….I read. I open the little window shade and look out into the blackness of the night. Then…I can see Vegas….(you can’t miss Vegas from the air…) which is gorgeous…and as soon as I can see it the plane feels like it drops ten feet. Which of course causes me to gasp….(I really wanted to screech but I refrained!)
I had forgotten how big McCarran Airport is compared to San Jose and I get to the Baggage claim…and by the time I get there the luggage from my flight is being spit up from the underbelly of the airport onto the carousel. And I walk towards the middle of the baggage claim because BFM is on her way to come get me. Apparently we pass each other because she is walking down the middle of baggage claim and I decided to go with less foot traffic and walk to the outside. I was so glad to see a familiar face And she brought her little brother (8th grade) who insisted on taking my luggage so that was nice for me. Basically the rest of my night consisted of chatting with BFM and figuring out what I would do the next day since she had to work and I had no wheels.
The next day I got up nice and early because even though Vegas is in the same time zone as me…it is right on the cusp…and the lighting difference told me to get my butt up. So I got up and visited with Misty before work…then I read…and BFM’s dad dropped me off for lunch with her…and I spent the rest of the afternoon at the mall..
BFM took me to see Pirates of the Carribean on Friday afternoon which was good because I hadn’t seen it (she had…but wanted to see it again). Then she took me to the Bass Pro Shop/ Outdoor World because Father’s Day was coming up AND my brother sent me with a list of stuff he wanted at that store too…so I shopped there.
On Saturday BFM took me to the Nascar Cafe in Vegas…which had the best Chicken Quesadilla ever to grace my lips. Then we spent time just hanging out at her house and I get ready to see Keith Urban at the Mandalay. We got there way too early…but sometimes parking can be hard to find on the nights of big events so we went over to the Luxor (they are connected) and had something to drink.
At the Luxor I was horrified to find out that the McDonalds in the food court served PEPSI and not my beloved Diet Coke…I had one because I was thirsty…but I was sad.
The Wreckers opened for Keith and they were good. I liked them.
Keith Urban was great!!! Live, in my opinion, the show was right up there with Bon Jovi live…a great show (of course this is really only my second country concert ever). Our near-the-back, on-the-floor seats? They turned into nearly front row seats as there was a walk way and a smaller stage set up just to the left of our seats…so when Keith was playing the little stage we all left our rows to be in the middle. So that was pretty awesome. The only thing that was a little weird about the smaller stage closer to us? Was that the KU band members all had their backs to the audience while playing on the small stage. I felt that was a little awkward….but it was still fun. Towards the end of it Keith had us do a Cell-phone version of the wave…twice. Which cracked me up. It was hilarious. Leaving the show was a nightmare so we walked back to the Luxor and went to the 24 hour cafe and had some food since we were both hungry (we hadn’t eaten anything since the Nascar Cafe…see how filling?).
Sunday was spent sleeping in…after being up all night…I wanted to sleep all day. I saw another movie….Knocked Up…which made me laugh so hard I nearly piddled….more than once.
On Monday we pretty much just chilled as I tried to to shove all my stuff in my suitcase and then I was home. My return flight? Was not only on time…but smooth as butter.
It did cost me $83.00 to get my poor Rav out of long term parking which I thought was OUT.RAGE.OUS! but what is a girl to do?
I didn’t do too much touristy stuff while in Vegas this time (except for the Nascar Cafe) so Janet…I will email you with some recommendations ok?
1. Summer is here. How does your life or routine change during the summer months? Pretty much my routine stays the same…because I am boring like that. A couple of summer’s ago I tried working flex (we are allowed to only during the summer)…but 10 hour days KILL me.
2. Have you ever read a book more than once? If so tell us what it is. Heck yeah I have. If I like a book I keep it for future re-reading. Probably the one I have read most is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton…I have probably gone through about sixteen copies of it in my life…seriously because I read it that often…the first time I read it I was probably in fifth grade or so?
3. How do you do when it comes to being on time for things? Are you ever late? What are you feelings on that. I don’t like to be late…however…I will not get upset if someone is late because I know I have been late myself a time or too.
4. What is your favorite TV show right now and why? If you aren’t watching TV now how about one you had when you were younger? Hell’s Kitchen because I find Gordon Ramsey to be…um…well for lack of a better phrase…an entertaining prick.
5. What would it take to make your weekend perfect? My weekend was perfect! I was in Vegas with BFM taking in a Keith Urban show.
You can be honest….
Well you guessed it…I am back. I am at work (bah!) and fairly well functioning considering I woke up this morning with vacation brain (ie…I feel like I left my brain in Vegas…)
Pictures? Not really. This happens to me whenever I go to Vegas…I tote around my camera…and I take like three pictures the whole time I am there. This time I think I only took two.
I will give you a blow by blow of the vacation…but I just wanted ya’ll to know I am here!
Ok…well I am going to stop posting now. I will be going home soon to get some last minute stuff together…and then I am off to the airport (which is over an hour away). So be good little monkeys (I call Roxy Monkey…did you know that?).
If you are lucky Chrissy and/or Tess will guest post…but I didn’t really ask them…they should know they are always welcome to post when I am gone but I can’t promise anything because they are both busy ladies…
Your homework whilst I am gone (pick one…or none…or more than one):
1. Watch a race…doesn’t have to be nascar…but a race all the same…tell me about it (in the comments or you can email me…).
2. Tell me about a blog I may not be reading that you think I really SHOULD read. Who do I already read? (see the navigation)
3. Tell a joke…amuse me and your fellow readers in the comments.
Ok peeps I am outtie.
My flight is already delayed by 20 minutes. And it doesn’t even take off for like six hours…urg.
I know you are probably sick of hearing about me and how I am petrified of flying…but this is my blog…and I work things out best by obsessing. Seriously…I work things out best by obsessing either verbally or written…or just obsessing in my head.
So you know…basically I have been a walking talking obsessing machine…about having to fly. And during my obsessing…I came to a realization…(see good things happen when I obsess).
My plane “freak out”…is one part “heights” and two parts “control issue” I think. I am a control freak. I like to be the one to drive because I am in control of the car. I don’t know anything about flying so I am not in control of the plane. I rarely fly (maybe three or four times in my entire life) so there is just this overwhelming feeling of NOT being in control of what happens. I really need to learn to let go.
Then there is the heights issue. I am so freaked out of heights. (Except I am ok at the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas which is weird…and taller than the eiffel tower in Las Vegas which had me so freaked out people on the elevator laughed at me).
So yeah…it is all about me giving up control…something I don’t like to do.
(And yes I know this had nothing to do with leashes…but I like the song Freak on A Leash… and it sounded funny.)
I am leaving tomorrow for vegas…on that jet plane I told you I was scared of…but don’t worry this probably won’t be my last post before I leave…I am actually working most of the day tomorrow. Anyway…here is my checklist:
Enough clothes for five days? Check. (By the way…enough clothes for five days in my new suitcase? Weighs 26 lbs)
Tolietries? Check. (add toiletries…it is now 27.2 lbs)
Gift for BFM? Check
Gift for BFM’s brother’s middle school graduation? Check
Keith Urban Tickets? Check…those puppies are in the carryon!
Camera? battery is charging for shoving into carryon- so Checkish
Cell Phone? Charging for last minute shoving into carryon- so Checkish
Boarding Pass printed? Check
Spare set of clothes for carryon? Check
Order Prelude To The Dream on PPV and dvr it. Check…I think I did that right.
Make sure my shows are dvr- specifically the race at Pocono since nascar has now moved to TNT instead of Fox. Check
To do tomorrow:
Remember to shove glasses, sunglasses and extra set of contacts into carryon.
Remember to print documents for BFM to shove into carryon.
Remember book for hours spent at airport…
Go to bank to get fundage.
Drive to Airport.
Remember to breathe…its only 1 and 1/2 hours in that plane…you can do it! really…you can.