Tony Stewart and the 14 team made a great effort at the race in Chicago. The qualifying went not so good again- which Tony qualifying 28th. However, he was able to bring the car up the field in dramatic fashion twice. Tony was knocking on the door of the top ten (He was 11ths). Tony was brought down pit road for 4 tires and fuel- when in the middle of the pit stop crew chief Steve Addington called an audible thus changing the stop to a two tire stop and sending Tony back out into the field under caution. Tony was then forced to come back after feeling a vibration and the team changed the other two tires- then sending Stewart to be the back of the lead lap- ironically in position he started in: 28th.
He worked his way through the field AGAIN though and was able to break into the top ten this time. Addington and Tony even kept the car out awhile during one round of pit stops just to get a bonus point for leading a lap. Tony ended up finishing the race 6th and is currently 3rd in the championship standings 8 point behind race winner and current points leader Brad Keselowski.
NOTES About Chicagoland:
- The first race of the Chase (NASCAR’s Playoffs) and the scary thing is the big news for Tony Stewart fans is the Tushy Grab Seen Around The World? My Facebook feed this morning is filled with Tony’s good luck grab. I can’t believe it even made cnn. Serious Stewart fans know that this is his pre-race ritual.
- Fascinated to read in an article that when Tony Stewart won the Chicago race last year he left Chicago with 2047 points. This season he came in sixth and leaves Chicago with 2048 points – thanks no doubt to the seeding bonus his 3 wins got him (the article here- the part about the points is at the bottom)
- I usually love Tony’s helmets- but I wasn’t a big fan of the one he ran at Chicago this last weekend. (see picture tweeted by Stewart-Haas Racing here). Although I did like the spark plug with wings.
- HotPass needs to reconsider their audio. They only play SOME of the driver audio- I want to hear EVERYTHING! There were times I know that Tony’s spotter at Chicago HAD to be talking to him- yet hot pass wasn’t playing the audio at all. Grr.
- What? Say it isn’t so but sounds like Jeff Gordon shaved the infamous stache!
Next race: Chase Race 2: New Hampshire