Why can I NOT get the theme song to THE ODD COUPLE out of my head? WHY???
I have been a racing fan nearly all my life. BFM and I have been friends since approximately 1987-1988 somewhere. I was a race fan back then yes. As a matter of fact one of the first times we ditched school (this would have probably been around 1990 or 1991 I figure) was to go to a race (and yes our parents knew). While we had fun at the race (we can pretty much go anywhere and have fun…seriously)- I am sure I had far more fun than she did being a race fan. For those keeping track this would have been a CART race at Laguna Seca…that my dad got comped tickets for.
Fast forward to 2007. I decided to quit saying “Someday, I will go see a real NASCAR race” and called up BFM and said “If I buy tickets will you go to a NASCAR race with me?” (not hard- remember she lives in Las Vegas). She agreed of course, even though, at the time she was probably thinking something along the lines of …eh…a race…whatever. Being the bestest friend she is she was cool with going even though it wasn’t something she was necessarily excited about….because she knew it was something that excited me.
I let her borrow one of my NASCAR books, A Girl’s Guide to Nascar by Liz Allison, so, if she wanted, she could peruse it at her leisure. Then I decided to annotate the book with my own notes. Originally it was just going to be a note here or there….but then it turned into this:
And she dove in and worked her way through. She picked a driver to love (Jeff Gordon…see “Ribbin is Friendship” entry to figure out why that is NO suprise)….and jumped into NASCAR with both feet. Now I am proud to say she is a total fan. We were best friends anyway…but having your best friend turn into a NASCAR fan too…that is great. She even understands the points and gives me updates as to who has to finish where in the chase to overtake her Jeff Gordon (which Jimmie Johnson did last weekend at Texas Motorspeedway).
It tickles me to death though that she picked up NASCAR and is now a total fan!!
Does watching TV mean I am doing harm to the Writer’s Guild strikers?
Just curious…because I really don’t think I can live without my Grey’s Anatomy and Moonlight and Desperate Housewives.
Ok…I figure it is time to talk football here on BadGroove. I am part of a football pool. This is not one of those pick a box on a grid and get assigned numbers kinda pool. In short each week, each participant chooses a team they think will win that week. Trick is? You can NOT pick the same team twice. If you pick a losing team once you are still in the pool. Pick two losing teams? You are out of there.
That being said…I have two favorite teams. I like the Steelers and The Chargers. I have no real reasons why I chose these teams…but I chose them a long time ago as being “my favorites.” Well last week when I was chosing my team for the week I considered choosing the Chargers. But my Steelers were calling out to me to pick them. I am not going to go into my method of picking my weekly team…some involves research but I am also a “gut instinct” person. I don’t usually like to pick the Monday night team. It is just a weird thing that I have….mostly I think it is because I like to have my game out of the way so I can start considering who to pick for the following weekend.
I finally decided it was time to pick the Steelers, even though they are the Monday game. I am glad I did because the Chargers tanked. Despite the fact that I like the Chargers I was actually hoping the WOULD tank…because two thirds of the people who are in the pool took the Chargers. And because the Chargers lost? That took out just over half of the pool who already had one loss (most of them had a first loss when they picked Green Bay). I am hoping that the Steelers win tonight…but if they don’t I will still be in the pool.
Well we got our hour back…but all that did for me was make it one freaking long night!!!
I don’t know what was wrong with me but I could NOT fall asleep. I couldn’t do it….Around 2:00 I finally gave up and decided to read. Unfortunately that doesn’t make me sleepy.
Next time I am going to try watching the military channel. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that before
I dunno about this weekend blogging thing…it seems odd to me.
So I was able to catch some of the Busch race…looks like Tony had it wrapped up til that little fenderbender took him out. He made a pretty good recovery- but there just were not enough laps in the race to make it back to the front.
Also- today was put away all the halloween decorations up in the rafters. That didn’t take too long because most of it was already boxed back up…as we believe in taking the decorations down as soon as possible.
Laundry was done today so that is good. I am nearly caught up for the week.
Tomorrow, is the race. I hope Tony wins…I hope that every week and it doesn’t seem to help him any. Thank goodness for dvrs because I might miss the beginning of the race since my Grandma needs her shopping done for her and stuff…
Anyway…that was my Saturday…I will be glad to get my hour back tonight…won’t you?
I volunteered for the MI-5 this week:
1. Do you like roller coasters? If you do what is your favorite part? If you don’t? Why not? I don’t like them. I don’t like heights and invariably they involve heights. I don’t mind speed…gimme more of that…but the heights kill me…and the upside down…or laying on the sides I am not a fan of either.
2. What is your favorite traditional treat you find in a halloween bag? Its an equal tie between Snickers and Reeses.
3. When was the last time you went to the dentist? Was it routine or was something bothering you? Well I hadn’t been in like years….over six I figure then I chipped a tooth and had to go in to a new dentist. I love my new dentist so I am taking care of all those problems now.
4. What was the last book you read that you would recommend? I have NOT been in the reading mood lately…so this is hard…let me think for a minute….
5. What is the theme song to your life right now? Have A Nice Day by Bon Jovi.
And Now The Friday Fill-in #44:
1. Writing is my favorite form of therapy.
2. If you get my voice mail you’ll hear a long drawn out message because we have a standard voice mail greeting at work .
3. My favorite product EVER is Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo .
4. I see something orange .
5. When I’m grumpy you might want to steer clear .
6. Compulsive email checking is my strangest habit.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I’m looking forward to sleeping in, tomorrow my plans include putting up the halloween decorations and Sunday, I want to get my hour back!!
Ok…I don’t have any horses (and frankly the scare me because when I was a kid I fell off one)…but I have some bullets:
- NABLOPOMO: Well today is the first day. I am a little nervous that I will forget on the weekends because I am use to NOT blogging on weekends….also- I am worried I may run out of ideas….so leave a comment with a subject for me to blog about just in case I run out of ideas!!!
- I hate it being still dark at 7:00 am. That is just not right. It makes me want to continue to sleep…
- Of course so does staying up too late because you ate too much chocolate too late in the day. Caffeine never use to bother me.
- In approximately two weeks I will find out if I will Aunty to a niece or a nephew(providing the baby cooperates and shows its parts)…and it can’t be too soon…I wanna start buying and making stuff.
- I really want to go to San Jose to the Tech Museum to see the new Body Worlds exhibit. Unfortunately I can’t get anyone to go with me. With the price of gas who blames them really….i don’t trust the rav to go all that way by myself.
- I am still having starting problems with the Rav. They seem to be getting worse. I need to woo and marry a pit crew….because my Toyota dealership can’t fix their own damn vehicle and I am getting sick of taking it in and them either telling my that they can’t find anything wrong (because it doesn’t show up on the dyno) or telling me that they found it, replacing said part for $300 dollars only for it to continue to act up. Can you tell I am a little frustrated? Yet another reason to buy a chevy hhr…at least when I had the Lumina and it would act up, their own mechanics could fix it.
- I think I may be one of the few people in the US who doesn’t like Thanksgiving.
- Roxy sez: The things I have to do for a cookie: