First thing I wanted to share about the Kansas race is this picture of Richard Petty (and driver Aric Almirola) being honored by STP at Kansas Speedway since I wrote about the event here:
Short and sweet this week…just like me (ok…I am short but not usually sweet).
Time and Place (One Week Later Jimmie Johnson Is Still Not Pleased With Ryan Newman)- David Caraviello for NASCAR.com
Kyle Busch Interview: A Closer At Joe Gibbs Racing’s Rowdy Driver- Jeff Gluck for SBNation
Carl Edwards Responds To Memior- Terry Blount for ESPN
SBNation Video: MSNBC Anchor Thinks NASCAR Cars Go 500 MPH- by Jeff Gluck for SBNation
Your gratuitous Tony Stewart Picture:
Here is my almost weekly list of recommended articles out there on the internet:
What I Learned From The NASCAR Sprint Cupt Series Rulebook- Jeff Gluck for SBNation.com
Interview: Tony Stewart on Hunting, Fishing and Racing-The editors of Outdoor Life
Have Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus Lost Their Edge?- Dustin Long for AthlonSports.com
Earnhardt Jr, Keselowski lambaste Reutimann’s Costly Move- Nate Ryan for USAToday.com
Dale Earnhardt Jr Saves The Day for Tardy Reporter- Jeff Gluck for SBNation.com
Tony Stewart Just Getting Warmed Up- Ed Hinton For ESPN.com
David Stremme Interview: “You’ve Got To Understand Where You Fit In”- Jeff Gluck for SBNation.com
Stewart, Newman Setting Strong Pace- Mike Hembree for SpeedTV.com
Amanda Beard Slams Former Boyfriend Carl Edwards- Bob Pockrass for Sporting News
Your Gratuitous Tony Stewart Pictures:
Several of the Chase drivers were asked in their media session today at Martinsville Speedway if they were going to attend a NASCAR themed Halloween party- what would they dress up as and why? The answers are pretty funny….so I had to share the video with you.
I love the look on Tony Stewart’s face when he is asked the question is priceless- I think he was nearly speechless and it was obvious that the question caught him kinda off guard. His answer is pretty darn funny too. Also? Dale Earnhardt Jr’s answer cracks me the heck up. Just what I needed on a Friday afternoon. Enjoy:
Wow, what a weekend for Stewart-Haas Racing. I admit I was quite pleased when Ryan and Tony qualified 1-2 (although that little teeny competitive person inside me was chagrined that it wasn’t the other way around). Tony isn’t always the best qualifier- so when he qualifies top 10 I get pretty happy. When he qualifies top 5 I get damn happy. When he qualifies top 2? I do a jig. Ok not really- but I was ecstatic and hopeful for his run on Sunday.
It appears I had every reason to be hopeful. EVERY REASON. I settled in for the race with my cell phone and my note pad close. I started off on the TNT national broadcast- only for the pre-race. Once the command was given to start engines I switched it over to Stewart’s DirecTV HotPass channel where for the second week in a row I just stayed on the HotPass Channel. I have decided that I like the HotPass because I get the radio communications between Tony, Darian and Bob without draining my battery on my phone and having to relaunch the Sprint ap every time I go to read a text or a tweet- which during the race is quite often.
Anyway- it was quite obvious by the way Tony Stewart moved through the field that he had a car to be reckoned with. Especially if you consider that during the pre-race show all the drivers interviewed mentioned how hard it would be to pass at Louden. I don’t remember anyone saying anything different. Tony seemed to be able to work his way up through the field a couple times and made it look easy. EASY! Whoo.
I will readily admit that the competitive side of me came out when Tony was running hard trying to catch Ryan. I was standing there in front of the TV-hoping Ryan would run out of gas. I know, I should hang my head in shame a little for hoping Ryan would run out of gas, after all that is Tony’s teammate. All I can say is that, Tony is my driver and he could be racing my mom out there and I would still be rooting for Tony. It’s just how this fan/driver relationship works.
Tony’s second place finish has moved him into a tie for 10th place with Denny Hamlin. I can only hope that this 1-2 weekend at New Hampshire signals the start of better luck for Tony Stewart and Stewart-Haas Racing.
Notes on Loudon:
- You see that picture up there of Tony congratulating Ryan in the car. The one right above this notes section? You might have to look carefully because it’s small but Tony’s hand is out congratulating Ryan. I LOVE that picture. Why? Well, as I mentioned I was watching the race on Tony’s HotPass channel and seeing him celebrate Ryan’s win and his second place from his incar camera was GREAT! He was UBER excited!!! Then hearing that one of the first things Tony said when he got out of his car was that he was “so damn proud” that he “couldn’t see straight” made me laugh.
- I love listening in on the radio communication. How else would I have known that Tony was mad because the hose that cools his feet wasn’t hooked up and I found that out because he stated over his radio that he in charge of hooking up said hose could drive the car the next time the hose didn’t get hooked up. So Tony wasn’t hot-headed he was hot-footed. Ha! I crack myself up. Not to mention the kind words he had to say about Andy Lally. LOVE it because that is what is going on right then and there in the car in my driver’s head.
- Oh and I am hearing that there is a rumor out there that Carl Edwards may be signing with JGR for next season…I am not sure if JGR is going to a 4 car team or if that means someone is out of one of the JGR cars. I guess we will find out soon enough.
- I still have to say that I would be happier if Ryan and Tony’s finishes were reversed, but still pretty damn happy.
- But we really need a win now. Just saying.
- Oh and before I forget- Tony mentioned during his post-race press conference that Darian was dealing with pneumonia while on the pit box…I sure hope he’s feeling better soon!
Gratuitous Tony picture:
Don’t forget next weekend is an off weekend for the Cup cars…they will be back the following weekend at Indy. Go Tony Go!
I am going to admit something right here…Misty and I played hooky from Infineon on Saturday and played tourists in San Fransisco so I really have NOTHING to tell you of Saturday. Valli has a post about Saturday though if you want to check out what she was doing (plus you can read about how Dale Jr tried to scare her just like Jimmie did to us the day before).
We were up with the chickens on Sunday- grabbed a quick bite in the room and headed right to the track on Sunday morning and it wasn’t even early enough because the race traffic heading into Infineon was in full effect! I remembered this from the time we came in 2009 and thought we had left in plenty of time- apparently not. Not that we were late- but we were later than we wanted to be. So we get into the track plop our stuff down in the media center (I LOVE having a place I can ditch my stuff at the race so that I don’t have to carry all my belongings with me everywhere I go) grab both of my cameras and we decide to spend the morning just wandering before the start of the race. First we wandered over to the driver introduction stage to get some pictures of three greats: Richard Petty, Ned Jarrett and Bobby Allison. I have to admit…Misty got THE best picture of Bobby Allison:
So on Wednesday some guys got together at a little half-mile dirt track in Ohio and
played in the dirt raced around it. They raced for fun and glory….proceeds went to four great children’s hospitals.
I watched the event as I do every year on PPV…but the other day I was searching around and I found a photo album that had some GREAT photos from the event. I wanted to share some of my favorites (after the jump): (more…)