Someone please tell me what is it with Misty and I? Of the last three races that we have been able to attend in person (Fall Phoenix 2012, Las Vegas, and now Autoclub) post race fights have broken out at two of them and each fight included one of our favorite drivers (Phoenix had Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer going at it and of course you may have heard that my driver went a little agro on Joey Logano at Autoclub). I will get into the post race pugilism a little later. First let’s get to the actual race.
Stewart-Haas racing announced yesterday a new sponsorship with Oreo and Ritz. Stewart will be sponsored by Ritz crackers- and will wear the logo on the chest of his firesuit as well as the B-Post of his car. Teammate Newman will wear the oreo logo on his firesuit and on the B-Post of his car as well. To kick off the new sponsorship- Stewart will drive the number 5 Ritz/Oreo car in the Nationwide race at Daytona this February. It is the only Nationwide series race Stewart plans on running this season. Tony tends to finish well in the Nationwide race at Daytona.
This comes after a November announcement that both teams will be sponsored by TORNADOS as well. Will these guys ever have to buy food again?
In other off-season NASCAR Notes:
- Elliott Sadler announced that he will be running several races in the Camping World Truck series for owner Kevin Harvick in addition to his normal cup schedule.
- Casey Mears married Tricia Grablander. The pair have a daughter- Samantha.
- The festival of Speed and Sound is happening this weekend in Nashville- pairing drivers and country artists in a festival for fans. Wish I could be there.
- It has been rumored that NASCAR is considering going back to having a spoiler on the rear of the car and getting rid of the COT’s trademark wing in an effort to keep the cars from getting airborn. I bet Carl Edwards, Ryan Newman, Joey Logano, and Mark Martin are all for it. It is rumored that this could happen as soon as the first races at Martinsville or Bristol.
- Travis Kvapil will be driving for Front Row Motorsports in the 2010 season.
- Jimmie Johnson and his wife Chandra have announced that they are expecting a baby sometime in July. Congratulations Jimmie and Chandra.
Boy having to go to work after nearly a week off is a rude awakening. I will get to putting all the adventures down in words for you all that I had over the last several days- but I wanted to share some pictures with you (all photos by ME!):
So that’s a smattering of pictures- words coming soon.
If you were keeping track- last year when we decided to go to the Vegas race, BFM woke up Thursday morning really sick- as in throwing up sick. We were going to go see Tony Stewart’s driver appearance at the local Home Depot and at her insistence I went anyway with her brother instead. That was the only driver appearance we got to that race. This year- however was quite the different beast. To begin with no one was too sick to go. Also there were tons of driver appearances – unfortunately it seemed that 85 percent of them were all at the same time (what is it with the Thursday from 4-6 time slot that the drivers love to use for their appearances?). I told BFM that since I got to see Tony at both races we went to last year that this year she could pick our driver appearances. So she picked:
Kasey Kahne, Kyle Busch and Casey Mears. The major problem there? Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch were doing their appearances at the same time at separate ends of the Vegas Strip (Kahne was in the Stratosphere and Kyle Busch was at M&M World which was just down from the MGM Grand).