It was great to actually not only get to watch a race real time on Sunday but it was AWESOME to watch Tony Stewart win real time. If you are new here? Last week the race was rain delayed to Monday- so I had to “watch” from work using NASCAR.Com’s Race Buddy- which was good except that I get all wrapped up in watching the race and may have let a little whoo hoo out (and clapped vigorously) at work. Luckily for me I am on west coast time so it was lunch time and most of the people on this floor were off having lunch. So this week, when I saw pictures like this, I was a tad worried that it would be a repeat of last week- that I would miss the race because it would again run on Monday:
While rain puddles make for a lovely reflection picture, they do not make for a good race.
And while I am sharing pictures, I had to share this one because whenever I see these pictures of Tony doing his media at the back of his hauler I think about two things- my experience standing in that crowd in Sonoma and the Police song Lyrics “Don’t Stand So Close To Me.”
Seriously- that is crazy! Photographer Glenn Bure was at New Hampshire and kindly offered me up some of his shots for the blog…of course I couldn’t say no:
I was standing directly in front (probably about a foot or so away) from a rather large TV pretty much willing Tony to pass Clint Bowyer…and I may have cheered a little when Clint ran out of gas. Ok- I cheered a lot (sorry Clint- but it’s true). How could I not? MY DRIVER WAS ABOUT TO WIN HIS SECOND RACE. Of course I was also sitting there going, “Egads please have enough gas ” the whole last two laps or so after Bowyer ran out. It was probably a sight to see. Luckily no one was filming it (hopefully).
Just because I was at home doesn’t mean I wasn’t uber excited when he won….how could I NOT be. Two wins in a row and now leading the points? That is something to be uber excited about! Speaking of exciting- these guys are excited (click on the picture for a bigger version to see how excited).
And then of course I have to share my favorite part of the Stewart-Haas hat dance pictures…where Tony Stewart and Darian Grub give new meaning to the term “hat dance” when they pose with their El Monterey sombreros on:
and of course this one of just Tony and his sombrero (click to embiggen):
All said and done though, I am so glad that Tony and the gang won chase race number two. Way to #KeepDiggingTony! Yeehaw. So as I mentioned Tony Stewart is now first in the standings with a 7 point lead on second place Kevin Harvick. Stewart-Haas teammate and fellow chase contender fell four positions in the chase standings and is now eleventh.
Notes on New Hampshire:
- I admit I think this every time I see the New Hampshire winner posing with their lobster…do they have to cook that thing thing themselves? I mean did Tony (or crew) stick that behemoth in a big cooler (it would have to be BIG- did you see the claws on that sucker?) and load it up on the plane to be eaten later? Did they whisk the lobster off and grill it up right then and there? Do they all go have some celebratory dinner at a local restaurant that is charged with cooking said lobster? You would need a pretty damn big pot to cook that thing in…I always wonder about who actually gets the lobster…and does it actually get eaten? Does the whole team get lobster omelets the next morning for breakfast? What? Anyone know?
- I can’t wait for my fantasy racing league to post results from last week week (they do it on Tuesdays). Why? Well because four of my six drivers finished in the top 5. That’s got to be a good thing right?
- Poor Junior can’t catch dang break. He was heading towards a good finish before he had his tire issue. He needs a hug. Someone give that man a hug. I know at least one reader who would volunteer for that job.
- There was a great article on NASCAR.COM about Darian Grubb by Joe Menzer- it’s a must read!
- Also Jeff Gluck wrote an interesting piece called “What’s It Like For Reporters To Cover Tony Stewart” on sbnation. Also interesting.
- And because this is my blog I present to you a gratuitous Tony picture from New Hampshire:
I wonder what’s making Tony go “Hmmmm….” in this picture. Or maybe I don’t want to know.
Next Week: Dover.