And just like that we are underway in the beginning of the 2011 NASCAR season. So yesterday evening was the Budweiser Shootout. On Friday night Tony had drawn P2 for the shootout:
When the race started Tony was quite strong in the beginning and spent most of the first segment in the first half of the field. The first half of the field featured two car breakaway drafts and Darrell Waltrip repeatedly stating that the cars wouldn’t stay coupled up for too many laps. Tony was paired with Denny Hamlin for a lot of that first segment, with Tony out front and Denny seemingly having no problem pushing him. I think one of the reasons they were able to maintain the two car breakaways was because it was pretty chilly in Daytona yesterday evening. I think that they will probably experience more of the cars getting heated during the actual 500 because that is during the day where the 500 is at night. Personally I would rather watch the two-car breakaways manuever around daytona close like this:
I would much rather see that then the usual one groove, string of cars running around and around and around until the end of the race. Maybe that is just me. Also? I am LOVING the Mobil 1 paint scheme! LOVING IT! And it was great to see the #14 Mobil 1 Chevy leading some laps in the Shootout. Towards the end of the first segment Tony fell back a little and after the segment continued as Tony’s radio communication with his spotter dropped out intermittantly. During the second segment Tony also ended up spinning Michael Waltrip. Tony ended up finishing the Shootout 11th. The race winner was Kurt Busch driving the #22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge to victory lane. That is weird. Kurt Busch in the #22 with Shell as his sponsor. It’s going to be hard to get use to. As will Kasey Kahne in the Red Bull number 4 car.
Sunday was qualifying for the front row at Daytona. Teammates Dale Earnhardt Jr and Jeff Gordon will fill out the front row for next Sunday’s 2011 Daytona 500:
Tony ended up 10th in the qualified list. However- with Daytona only the front row counts. Tony and the rest of the field will have to race for their position on Sunday in the Gatorade Duels on Thursday.
- I hate the fact that the duels are on thursday in the middle of the day. Sucks for us working girls. Thank goodness for DVRS.
- Also? I have officially switched from Verizon to Sprint as my cell phone carrier (it was surprising that as a Verizon customer forever and a day that they didn’t fight harder to keep me as a customer..I was asked why I was leaving and when I told them I was changing providers they just said ok and continued on with my disconnection). So I will be looking forward to using the NASCAR Sprint ap and will let you know what I think of it.
- Ok? Jeff Gordon’s Drive To End Hunger paint scheme? Love it (not as much as I love the Mobil 1 paint scheme of Tony’s but still)! I was kinda iffy about it when I heard about it but after seeing it in action during the Bud Shootout?? LOVE IT. My only complaint is that in certain shots it looked like Biffle’s car. But that might have just been because of the dark.
- Remember how the talk was all about the Hendrick pit crew swaps and how the pit crews held auditions during the off season and were reset? WELL…Tony’s front tire carrier from the last two seasons? Kelly Kellis? Is now the front tire carrier for Jeff Gordon. Tony’s new front tire carrier actually worked with Tony when he was on the 20 team…Ira Jo Hussey.
- Totally off topic…what is the big deal with Sun Drop soda? It seems like it dropped out of the sky (pun totally intended) into these huge displays in the supermarket and I have never even heard of it.