If I took one thing from 2014 NASCAR media tour in Charlotte this week it is this: Tony Stewart is EXCITED for the 2014 season. Don’t believe me? He said “excited” 20 times during the general media scrum (I was going to go back to the transcript and count because I noticed it while he was speaking but thanks to Nate Ryan I don’t have to) and a bazillion more times during his interview on SiriusXM (click on link to hear his excitable snippet) after they broke out into individual sessions. I love it. This season is going to be a great one- I can feel it. (more…)
Remember back when NASCAR ’14 (the video game) was running a Facebook competition where NASCAR fans could vote for who was going to be on the cover? I voted EVERY SINGLE round for Tony. I figured it was a way I could support my driver while he was on the mend from his broken leg. I guess a bunch of my fellow Tony Stewart fans felt the same way I did because as many of you already know Tony Stewart won. In the end he was up against driver Jeff Gordon (whom I might add is usually second in the Most Popular Driver voting- second to Dale Earnhardt Jr.) so I was a little surprised…but not THAT surprised. Tony Stewart fans had banded together to show their support. Well guess what? That game is coming out in just a little over a month! NASCAR ’14 is scheduled to be released on February 18 for XBox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC!
I will admit it right here right now: for a professional geek (I work in technical customer service/support in the educational field) I am not a big gamer. I figure I am in front of a computer 40 hours a week for my day job, more at home for my blog. Whatever other screen time I have in a week goes to things like facebook (of course), personal photo editing, and other stuff like that. I WILL admit that I do play Words with friends (hey that is technically facebook right?) and recently I have gotten pulled back into TheSims with their FreePlay ap for Kindle but other than that I am not a big gamer. I do have the gamer gene though- my dad is a big fan of COD, and lately World of Tanks. However- if my driver- Tony Stewart is on the cover of a game? I will own that game! I will play that game! I can’t wait for the release of NASCAR ’14.
“You want to show all those wanna be knuckleheads out there what it means to drive…” Tony Stewart in the NASCAR ’14 ad (see video below)
So I didn’t even need to see the ad to know that I would own NASCAR ’14…but the ad? It’s so good. I absolutely love love LOVE this ad:
Here are some features of NASCAR ’14 the game if you are interested:
- NASCAR Highlights: Take advantage of “NASCAR Highlights” to determine the outcome of the biggest race thrills from the season. Eutechnyx recreates the action where the condition of the cars is exact, weather the same, track positions identical – the only difference is you!
- Career Mode: Work your way through the ranks in a comprehensive career mode; complete with custom car builds, sponsor acquisition, and R&D to get your team into victory lane.
- Official Teams & Tracks: Race against the official NASCAR teams & drivers on your favorite tracks from the high banks of Daytona, to the twists & turns of Sonoma, and exhilarating speed of Talladega.
- Leagues: Take competition to the next level and host online leagues with your friends, fully supported by dynamic statistics, challenges, rankings and replay.
- Online Multiplayer: Take advantage of dynamic skill-based matchmaking, tournaments, and easy drop in/out server browser functionality for a fair and enjoyable experience.
It looks fun to me:
As I mentioned in my last post, Tony Stewart appeared at a grand opening of the new River Run Xfinity Comcast retail store in Jacksonville, Florida. The store showcases the innovation and speed of Xfinity products, and is designed entirely around the needs of customers, offering consumers an opportunity to explore and interact directly with the latest Xfinity products and services. At the grand opening ceremony Tony was also present with a check for $15,000 for the Tony Stewart Foundation from Comcast. For those not familiar with The Tony Stewart Foundation- it celebrated it’s 10 year anniversary as a foundation last year and has awarded $5.2 million to outstanding organizations serving children, animals and injured motor racing drivers in 41 of 50 states, including Florida!
What better way to start the new year then posting a Tony Stewart autograph appearance right out of the box!
Yes that is right- Tony Stewart will be doing an autograph appearance for Comcast as part of a grand opening of their Comcast Xfinity store River City location grand opening on January 8th!! Tony will be on hand that evening with Comcast executives to help open the store and to accept an awesome $15,000 donation by Comcast to the Tony Stewart Foundation! After the presentation, Tony will be signing autographs for the lucky 250 fans who get wristbands.
Here are the details: (more…)
(Here are links to Celebrating A NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion…Vegas Style Part One and Celebrating Part Two)
First off I wanted to let you know that you can see all of our pictures from Champions Week over in our Sprint Cup Champion’s Week 2013 flickr set (all pictures no commentary) so I hope you enjoy those.
Here are my favorite (often times silly and possibly only funny to us) “outtake” moments from this year’s NASCAR Champion’s Week celebration:
1. That the only part of Tony Stewart Live that Misty and I managed to catch (since Tuesday was my travel day) was Jimmie Johnson saying that Chad Knaus was aging in dog years and he didn’t know how much more he had in him. (For those not in the know- Misty’s favorite driver is Jeff Gordon- but Chad is her favorite crew chief). Okay- well maybe only I (Amy) found that hilarious- am pretty sure Misty didn’t find it too funny but don’t worry- she gets me back in this department with outtake 3. Needless to say “aging in dog years” became the catchphrase of the week.
2. That time Robin Leach (yes he of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous fame) photobombed Misty’s picture of Jimmie Johnson, Joey Logano and Matt Kenseth during The Victory Lap (and all three of the drivers were smiling- not an easy thing to catch):
I always feel kind of bad when the winner at Homestead-Miami is not the same person as the one who won the Championship- because their win gets overlooked a little. So congratulations to Denny Hamlin on winning the race! By winning at Homestead- Denny Hamlin was able to keep his streak alive- of winning at least one race for the past 7 season. Awesome!
And speaking of the race what a race it was. There was after all- Matt Kenseth (second in points) leading the most laps, Jimmie the series leader sustaining damage during a restart when another car spun it’s tires. It was a real nail biter there wondering if Jimmie was going to need to pit- he also fell down to like 26th at that point so it was all YIKES what will happen for a little while- something I did not think would happen because I went into the race pretty darn sure that Jimmie was going to come out 6-time.
As I mentioned I was gone to Phoenix last weekend- for the race and other fun with Misty. It’s a trip we’ve made at least once a year since…what? 2009? Anyway- this year’s annual 1700+ mile road trip was fun as it always is. I drove 500 miles from here (central coast of California) to Vegas and spent the night with Misty and Ronald her adorable dachshund puppy. Now what you need to know about Ronald is that he is an excited pee-er. So when he is excited he pees and luckily for me he finds me very exciting. So when I am about 20 minutes out or so- Misty usually tries to take him for a walk hoping to alleviate any possible peeing (on me) marathons when I get there. Anyway, I turn into Misty’s neighborhood to see Misty and little Ronald walking up one of the nearby streets. I stopped and said hello and little Ronnie of course wanted to race the car- let me tell you he put his little legs and heart into trying- but he is a mini-doxie and as the shortest legs I have ever seen on a puppy. I beat them to her house so I was waiting for her to turn the corner and as I watched Misty (the ardent Jeff Gordon fan) walk up her little street I noticed something. Let me show you a picture and see if you notice it too:
I am going to be the first to admit I was a little distracted during the race in Texas for multiple reasons but mainly I had been running around on Saturday trying to get all the stuff I needed done and taken care of because I am heading off for Phoenix Wednesday so during commercials I was doing exciting things like laundry.
And wouldn’t you know it the one day that I decide to forgo listening to the scanner that the 14 has a fairly decent run! (more…)