So the first night race at Texas Motor Speedway- or should we call it the Stewart Yo-Yo race? Part of me says that the Stewart fan in me shouldn’t be disappointed with the race- after all the results weren’t THAT bad- hell we even picked up a position in the points…but I just can’t talk myself out of the disappointment over Texas. Tony seemed to be fairly good in practice. This encouraged me. Yet then he qualified 26th. Not so good- but then again- Tony’s not the best qualifier. Little did I know that the swing between practice and qualifying would be indicative of the entire race on Saturday. The most encouraging thing about the race is that they did seem to have the car fairly well set up in that Tony seemed to be able to move through the field with it, seeing as he seemed to have to do it over and over again between the early race pit road incident that caused some damage and the pit road speeding penalty. Between racing it through the field and pit strategy the team ALMOST had it working their way up to a very respectable 3rd place- until the car ran out of gas on the white flag lap of the race. It was sad to watch Stewart tumble down the ticker at the top of the screen as the cars were crossing the finish line- 3rd turned to 5th, to 8th, etc. Tony ended up finishing 12th; however he actually rose one spot to 10th in the championship standings.
Congratulations to race winner Matt Kenseth.
- NASCAR on FOX got on my bad side during the post-race- Chris Meyer’s stated they would speak with Tony Stewart and then they NEVER did. URG.
- I don’t know what is going on with Tony’s team- but I can only hope that they are getting this bad stretch out of their system early so we can totally ROCK the rest of the season. Not only is it: #goTonyGo but it’s #goTeam14go!
- So I felt a little bad for Carl Edwards- driving while not feeling so hot during the race. That can’t be fun. But then he threw his mom “under the bus” by blaming her cooking for it on national TV. That made me wince. I am sure he didn’t think about it before he said it- but wow…I think you probably owe your mom a HUGE mother’s day present now Carl.
- What was with everyone playing bumper cars in the pits during the race? That was crazy.
- Why is there no SAFER barrier on the inside wall where Mark Martin hit? Texas should consider installing some.
Unfortunately it’s not like we can even relax next weekend- for it’s the race I watch every year through my fingers! It’s DEGA baby.